Saturday, January 2, 2010

Was It Prompting, Or Was It Just Me?



Why we pray-The search for answers

As God our Eternal Father- Does He love us more than we know? Does He want us to be happy? Does He want us to pray? Is He anxious to answer us? Does He know exactly what we need? What are we praying about?

Essential Questions:
* Why do we pray?
* What are we praying (specifically) for?

The object of prayer to secure blessings God is willing to grant, but are conditional for our asking for them.

Elder C Lewis " I pray because I am helpless, the need flows out of me all the time waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God, it changes me."

" The education of our desires is one of for-reaching importance to our happiness in life"-Pres Joseph F Smith
To be taught what you need is one of the purposes of prayer.

"Even though we may ask in faith for something unless its right for us, God reserves the decision making process to himself. in asking in faith we need to ask for that which is right" Elder Maxwell " The Lord reserves the right to decide that which is right for us.

1. Why do we pray( The Essential Question)
-To learn His will for us
-To have the faith to carry His will out



  • Dramatic Differences
-Natural Man: What I want
                       What I need
                       I've got to have....
                      Please Change this
(When I am desperate I look for dramatic answers)
-My submission prayer
                     Thank you
                     I'm grateful for...
                     Give me ears to hear...
                     Help me to know what to do...
Am I to be directed in everything?
" Only with the Holy Ghost can we be lifted out of our narrow little theatre of our own experiences. God see's things as they really are, we must rely on the promptings of the Holy Ghost" Elder Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment