Sunday, January 17, 2010

Broken Things To Mend- Part One

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven"(Matthew 5:3) Many people are facing personal trials and family struggles, enduring conflicts fought in the lonely foxholes of the heart, trying to hold back floodwaters of despair that sometimes wash over us like a tsunami of the soul. What follows is especially for those who feel their lives are broken, seemingly beyond repair. "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give thee rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye shall find rest unto your souls"(Matthew 11:28-29) This is the key to the peace and rest that we seek. It seems clear that the essence of our duty, the fundamental requirements of our mortal life, is captures in these brief phrases from any number of scenes in the Savior's mortal ministry. He could have said this to us " Trust me, learn of me, do what I do. Then, when you walk where I am going" He says " We can talk about where you are going, and the problems you face and troubles you have. If you follow me, I will lead you out of darness," He promises " I will give you answers to your prayer and I will give you rest to your souls" Just believing, just having a molecule of faith-simply hoping for things which are not seen in our lives, but which are nevertheless truly there to be bestowed--that simple step, when focused on the Lord Jesus Christ, has ever been and always will be the first principle of His eternal gospel, the first step out of despair.
Second, we must change anything we can change that may be part of the problem. We must repent, perhaps the most hopefull and encouraging word in the Christan vocabulary. We thank our Father in Heaven we are allowed to change, we thank Jesus we can change, and ultimately we do so only with their divine assistance. Often our trials result from the actions of others or just the mortal events of life.
Third, in as many ways as possible we try to take upon us His identity, and we begin by taking upon us His name. that name is formally bestowed by covenant in the saving ordinances of the gospel. these start with baptism and conclude with temple covenants, with many others, such as partaking of the sacrament, laced throughout our lives as additional blessings and reminders.

No comments:

Post a Comment